On Thursday, October 4, 2018, the UCCM Police along with the OPP and other community-based partners are hosting a one day awareness event focusing on missing and/or unidentified murdered persons.
Topics and presentations will include a personal reflection for one local family, missing persons investigations, community action planning, missing and murdered Indigenous peoples, a family’s guide to the national missing persons DNA program, preventing child sexual abuse, living with grief/unresolved grief, internet safety and human trafficking indicators and candle light vigil.
This event is a Manitoulin Island wide event for all community members.
These can be difficult topics that hit close to home for many. The planning team want to ensure the safety of everyone who chooses to attend by providing the following:
- There will be a private space with Elders, throughout the entire day, for comfort and guidance if things get too heavy for people;
- There will be a sunrise ceremony around 7:00 am;
- A sacred fire will burn for the day;
- To end our day, we will make our offerings to the fire, sing and drum. Hand drummers are asked to bring their drum if they would like to use their voice to support the ones that have been living with a loss such as this; and
- A referral to support services and wellness check if requested.
Food is important and that’s why we will be offering nutritious snacks, a light lunch and hot, catered supper for participants.
Please note, there is no fee for this event. Expenses are also being covered by the sponsoring agencies.
This event is being held in Aundeck Omni Kaning at the 4 Directions Complex.
To register, contact Brittany Allen or Daughness Migwans by phone at 705-377-7135 or email at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. People are also welcome to register at the door before 9 am.
If you have any questions or require more information, please feel free to contact Daughness Migwans.