The UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service Commission is an incorporated body pursuant to the laws of Ontario, without share capital, and is the police governing authority and the employer of the members of the UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service.
The relationship between the Commission and the Chief of Police is a respected one. The Chief of Police oversees the operations of the organization, and will contact the Commission for guidance with issues when necessary. The Commission protects the interests of the Police Service, and respects all employees working within the organization.
The Commission consists of members from the six First Nations, on and near Mnidoo Mnising (Manitoulin Island). Each First Nation appoints one representative to serve on the Police Commission. There is also one Elder representative on the Commission. Some of the responsibilities of the Police Service Commission include the following:
- To govern the UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service by generally providing direction, planning and policies;
- To maintain order, discipline, and efficiency;
- To obtain and maintain liability insurance;
- To be responsible for the financial management of the funds provided under the Tripartite Funding Agreement; and
- To provide an annual report to the United Chiefs and Councils of Mnidoo Mnising (UCCMM) Board (Tribal Council) on the activities of the Police Service.
Police Commission Executive Members
Chairperson: Derek Assiniwe
Vice-Chairperson: Christine Bigras
Secretary/Treasurer: Don Francis
Don Francis – Member of Whitefish River First Nation
Karen McGraw – Member of Aundeck Omni Kaning
Christine Bigras – Member of Zhiibaahaasing First Nation
Elizabeth Laford – Member of Sheshegwaning First Nation
Henry Panamick – Member of M’Chigeeng First Nation
Derek Assiniwe – Member of Sheguiandah First Nation
Bill Antoine (Elder Representative) – Member of Elder’s Group for UCCMM
Please address correspondence to the UCCM Police Services Commission at:
5926 – Hwy 540, Box 332
M’Chigeeng, ON P0P 1G0