The UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service provides three levels of Police Record Checks.
- Criminal Record Check (CRC)
This check is intended for applicants who are involved as a volunteer, employee or in any situation where a basic Police Criminal Record Check is requested (i.e., retail or immigration). This check is NOT intended for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or employment with vulnerable persons.
If the applicant has a criminal conviction, this check can only be provided by the local police service where the applicant resides.
- Basic Check
- No letter required
- Police Record Check (PRC) – more detailed and requires a letter
A collection of offence information, including convictions, non-convictions and other relevant police contact information available from a local police agency’s records management system and other systems/records where authorized.
This check is intended for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or employment with agencies who require a criminal record check along with local police involvement. The agency has determined that a search of pardoned sex offenders, or contacts relating to mental health apprehensions is NOT required, therefore this check is NOT intended for applicants who are seeking volunteer and/or employment with vulnerable persons.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening Check (VSSC)
Definition “Persons who, because of their age, a disability or other circumstances, whether temporary or permanent,
- are in a position of dependence on others; or,
- are otherwise at a greater risk than the general population of being harmed by persons in a position of authority or trust relative to them.
This check is restricted to applicants seeking employment and/or volunteering with vulnerable individuals. It is a collection of offence information, including convictions, non-convictions and other relevant police contact information available from a local police agency’s records management system and other systems/records where authorized. This check will include sexual offence convictions for which the individual has received a pardon now referred to as a records suspension where authorized by the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness.
In order to ensure faster service for those applying for volunteer positions, citizens are now required to bring a letter from the organization they are volunteering for, on the organization’s letterhead. This letter should state the individual’s name, position and general duties they will be performing, this information satisfies the RCMP’s requirement to waive its $25 fee for fingerprint comparison if required.
In the interest of public safety, the RCMP recently made enhancements to ensure an unreported name change would not allow a pardoned sexual offender to avoid being identified through a Vulnerable Sector query. These enhancements include automatically performing a separate query on an individual’s gender and date of birth should their name and date of birth not match a pardon sex offender.
- This is a Criminal Record Check which includes a check of the Pardoned Sex Offender Registry.
- Mandatory when you are working or volunteering with:
- Children under the age of 18
- the Elderly
- the Disabled
- A letter on letterhead from the organization that you are working for or volunteering with is MANDATORY and MUST include:
- Person’s Name(s)
- A description of the position they will be working/volunteering in
- Details regarding the children or vulnerable person
- If Volunteer, a statement (indicated in letter) that you will not be paid for work nor compensated for any expenses.
- Please bring your VSSC Organization Letter with you when applying.
- If you require Fingerprints** for Vulnerable Sector Screening Checks, there is an additional $25.00 fee and can be completed at our detachment.
** It is important for the public to understand that under NO circumstances does a Fingerprint requirement confirm that the applicant is or is not a pardoned sex offender, it is strictly to confirm identity. RCMP flags individuals randomly, not the UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service. If flagged for fingerprints, these must be completed prior to a results letter being issued**
Link for more information on Record Checks:
The UCCM Anishnaabe Police Service fee structure for the Police Records Checks process are as follows:
Criminal Records Check $20.00
Vulnerable Sector Screening Check $20.00
Student Placements/Employment $20.00
Additional Sealed Copies (each) $10.00
Volunteer applications No Charge with proper letter as previously indicated
If you require more than one type of record check, each one will cost $20.00 and they cannot be combined into one application. This is because each check requires different authorizations and search criteria.
If you do not know which one you require, please do not hesitate to ask or call our office, (705)377-7135.